Sunday, September 29, 2013

"wonky biomechanics"

That's what the doctor said I have. Gee, thanks.

Last Wednesday I was able to get an appointment with a doctor in town who specializes in running. He confirmed that I have Iliotibial band syndrome. (And after looking at an x-ray he said my knee is "pristine.") He prescribed an anti-inflammatory medication, an IT band wrap to wear above my knee while running, and physical therapy. He also said I can keep running with pain, as long as it stays within the 0-3 out of 10 range.

I left pretty encouraged.

The next day I had my first physical therapy session (ever in my life). My homework is to do squats, do more squats on one foot, hold my big toe down but lift my other toes (which is so weird, and also impossible on my right foot), stretch my hip flexors, and stretch my IT band. And of course more foam rolling.

Right after my appointment I ran three miles. I had some mild pain, but it was okay.

Saturday I tried to run again, but had to stop at 1.3 miles. I walked a little, tried running again, and stopped at 1.5. I kept asking myself "is the pain above a 3? Is this a 3? Am I a wimp? Am I too tough?" But I knew if I kept going I would start to change my gait, and that's no good.

After the run I iced my knee and then went downtown to read, but I was limping while walking. I was also limping, or at least wanting to limp but not letting myself, today. Ugh. I think maybe the physical therapy homework is aggravating my leg. I'm hoping that's not really a problem. The whole point of the exercises is to strengthen my hips and feet/ankles so they don't wobble around while I run and make my IT band strain too much (which apparently is what's happening with my "wonky biomechanics").

So that's my news. I'm not better. I even feel a little worse. But I trust I will get better eventually, and I'm hopeful that physical therapy will help soon.

I won't be running a marathon in two weeks as planned, or even a half marathon. I'm holding out hope for a race in November though. And if that fails, there's always this local marathon/half in December. We'll see.

No comments: