Tuesday, November 05, 2013

highlights of a good good week

This past week has been full of good things you guys.

Last Wednesday after my class in Fairfax I went into DC and met up with Keith for dinner! He's a friend from college and we hadn't seen each other in five years. We ate at Farmers Fishers Bakers and our appetizer included kettle corn, beer nuts, and candied bacon.

Thursday for Halloween I dressed as Rebecca the Raccoon. Who is Rebecca, you ask? She was the pet raccoon of Mrs. Coolidge in the White House during the 1920s. Now you know.

Friday I went back to DC for a weekend with my grandparents and the crew that rolls with them. That night we had a great Chinese meal at Meiwah, followed by a smaller group hangout back at the hotel in which I got to hear the epic true story of a houseboat trip to Canada gone wrong.

Saturday night I hung out with Keith again. Kind of funny to go from five years apart to two nights in the same week. We enjoyed drinks and more catching up at Kramerbooks and Afterwords Cafe and at the Tabard Inn.

Sunday I went for a run from our hotel along the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway, around the Lincoln Memorial, past the George Mason memorial (that I never knew existed), and to the Jefferson Memorial, with a stop in the visitor center below. This "run" was 6.75 miles but included quite a bit of walking, since I'm still injured. I've wanted to run by the river and tidal basin in DC for so long though, and it was a beautiful day.

Sunday evening I went with Grandpa and my aunt to the National Cathedral for the All Soul's Mass, which included the men and boys choir singing Faure's Requiem. It was amazing. We sat up in the choir area, which reminded me of sitting in the choir during services at Westminster Abbey in London. Only this time we didn't have to pray for the queen.

Sunday night I was in pajamas ready to play a game of Scrabble, but was instead called away by my aunt to go out on the town for dinner and drinks. I reluctantly agreed, and ended up having a great time on what will go down as a random but memorable night at Clyde's.

And to top off my A+ week, tonight in Charlottesville I went to see Gordon Lightfoot in concert! I used to enjoy listening to my dad's "best of" CD, and he played most of those songs tonight.

No comments: