Sunday, February 16, 2014

nothing new, just the same triathlon obsession

I haven't posted in a while because I don't have much to talk about other than my obsession with triathlon. It's settled down a little, but there were nights a few weeks ago when I stayed up too late reading triathlon blogs and then couldn't fall asleep for a long time because I just kept thinking about swimming and biking and running. I even spent an entire Saturday at an Endurance Athlete Symposium just to learn more and hang out with triathletes. (And don't worry, I was sure to throw away my fast-food soda cup before I entered the building after my lunch break so no one else would see that I'm not really a healthy triathlete. Yet.)

I've been sticking to my own base-building workout plan, with hopes that I can start a real triathlon training plan in a couple weeks. I was feeling really good about it too, but this past week I had a tiny little bump. My IT band was feeling tight again, though there wasn't any real pain. Tuesday my PT said I should be okay and can keep running, I just need to listen to my body and make sure I have good rest days.

That really confounded me for a little while. How am I supposed to have rest days (as in, more than one per week) when I'm going to have nine workouts to do every week? I like training programs because I like having everything I'm supposed to do laid out in front of me, and then I just do what it says. Skipping a workout really throws me off. It makes me feel like I'm cheating. But I went ahead and skipped the bike on Wednesday and a swim + run on Thursday. Luckily we also had a lot of snow, so I could use that to really validate my excuse for not exercising. Saturday I still biked (inside on my trainer) for an hour, and today I ran 3.75 miles. We'll see how this coming week goes.

My log.
I really wish this injury would completely go away already. It happened in early September. I'm more than ready to pick another big goal and spend months working on it. Please.



No comments: