Thursday, October 27, 2016

Fall fun

Here's a list of some of the fun stuff I've done so far this fall:

Went on a retreat to Shrine Mont with my church. It was a relaxing late-September weekend in the mountains hanging out with new and old church friends. There were talks each day and lots of big meals, plus a game of Mexican Train Dominoes with a fun group of older ladies, a big group hike, a bonfire under the stars, and a Sunday church service in the outdoor cathedral.

Rode the Culpeper (metric) Century with JoAnne. It was drizzling the whole time which made it hard to see out of our foggy and rain-speckled glasses, but overall it was still a fun 63-mile bike ride.

Getting ready to ride. (The racing number on my helmet was accidentally left over from my last triathlon. Oops.)

Ryan and Lauren (and Tess!) visited me. It was last-minute and unplanned due to their having to evacuate from Hurricane Matthew, but it made for a nice visit. (And thankfully they were safe and their house in South Carolina didn't receive any damage.) I was still having to work the whole time, but we went to dinner two nights and I got to take Tess on short walks in my neighborhood and dream about the day when I will have my own dog to walk around.

On their visit to Pippen Hill winery.

Tess! Leaving her fur on my bed!
Camped for two nights with friends at the music festival Festy. It was my first time using the new tent I bought two years ago, so that was exciting. But it also rained a lot and the whole weekend was spent in my rain boots slogging around in the mud. Musical acts included Mary Chapin Carpenter, the Infamous Stringdusters, Lee Ann Womack, and a joint set with Lyle Lovett and Robert Earl Keen.



So. much. mud.
Blue skies Sunday though!

Went to see 1776 the Musical performed in Richmond. I love that musical. It has lots of humorous parts but it has serious parts as well, and I almost got a little teary eyed during some of the latter. Then a few days later I went to see David Sedaris give a reading in Charlottesville.

No comments: