Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Presidents Day Weekend

I just had a great weekend. I exercised. I ate delicious things. I hung out with friends. I enjoyed nature. I saw a good movie.

Saturday I went for a run (which I'm finally getting back into!) and then scrambled to make some green chili macaroni and cheese for a friend's "4th Annual Mac n' Cheese Showdown." You guys, my mac was pretty delicious. Unfortunately, I was stupid and procrastinated and got to the party after lots of people had already gorged themselves and voted. (And yes, my mom even warned me not to cut my time so close. She knows me!) So I didn't win. And even though people liked mine, I was a little sad to have two different people say "did you make the jalapeƱo mac?!" Um, no. That was fresh (frozen) roasted green chili flown in from New Mexico. Sheesh. In any case, the winner was lobster mac and was indeed prize-worthy.

After the party several of us went to the grand opening of Hardywood Brewery's Charlottesville taproom, followed by a late dinner at Mellow Mushroom (as if we needed more cheesy carbs).

Sunday I went to a cycling class at the gym (also a thing I'm finally getting back into!), then Patrick and I drove to the Blue Ridge Parkway and hiked up Humpback Rock. Then we kept heading west and went to Staunton, where we had a cheese plate and glass of wine at a cute little wine bar, followed by dinner and the movie Lion, which was really good and I suggest you all go see it. (If you can. It isn't showing in Charlottesville, and hence our excursion to Staunton.)

Enjoying the view from the top!


Monday I was off from work and I had every intention of spending all day doing dissertation research. But I tell you what, I was tired (and sore), and ended up having a (quite enjoyable) lazy day in my PJs until I finally went out for a run before it got dark. Then I really did do a couple hours of work.

All in all? Excellent long weekend.

No comments: