Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Reading Again

I have, for the past several months, been on a somewhat involuntary reading hiatus. When I flew home for Thanksgiving I was reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera. [As an aside, I accidentally hit the paste shortcut instead of the italics shortcut, and this appeared: Cheese Ghostkersandwich.] I was enjoying the book, but the chapters are very long and I hate to stop in the middle of a chapter, so after the plane ride the book was set aside for a while. Then the while got longer. And I also hate to quit reading a book after I've started, so I was unwilling to start something else that might be a faster or easier read. So I didn't read at all, and instead stuck to crosswords and sudokus to fill my spare time. This whole time I was a little sad about how I couldn't get myself to read for fun. I even have a stack of New Yorkers I haven't looked at yet. The worst part is when I tell someone I want to go to library school. "Oh?!" they say. "You must really love to read then." "Er...um...yeah..." I respond as I shuffle my feet and look away. I mean, librarians don't stop reading for four months straight!

So, the good news is, I have ended my readers block. At least I hope so. I have, reluctantly, given up on Marquez for now, though I plan to finish the book some day. A friend gave me The Jane Austen Book Club to read on my recent plane ride, and I just finished it. It was fun and light- the perfect read to get me back in the swing of things. Now I am reading J.D. Salinger's Franny and Zooey. I'm pretty excited about it.

No comments: