Sunday, September 27, 2009

blues, indie, bluegrass, and rock

In college I went to a lot of shows (well, looking back it seems like a lot, maybe it was just "several") and I loved hearing live music. I barely saw anything when I moved to Richmond, and Raleigh wasn't much better. But now I'm starting to make up for it.

Last weekend Josh and I went to the Veritas Winery in nearby Afton, Virginia, and danced around to Little Freddie King playing the blues.

Last Thursday we heard The Decemberists at the Pavilion on the downtown mall. I saw them in Seattle a few years ago with my brother. My favorite part was the druming during "The Rake's Song."

Saturday we joined Josh's grandparents at the Frontier Culture Museum in Staunton, Virginia, for the Fortune Williams Music Festival. We heard some great bluegrass and rockabilly country, and in between sets we got to walk around the various farms that are on display. Historic farms + bluegrass = a great day in Andi's book.

Coming up next...U2 on Thursday!

No comments: