Tuesday, April 12, 2011

exciting Mondays

Occasionally for work I get to go do research away from the office. Last Monday was special because I got to do that at the Library of Congress in D.C. for the first time. My class met there later in the evening, so I went up early and spent the whole day there. Well, really I got into D.C. (after the 2+ hour drive to the metro station and the 45 minute ride into the city) around 10:30 and stopped by the National Archives to copy some things from microfilm, then I walked down and across the Mall to the Library of Congress. I ate my lunch on the grounds of the Capitol. After working and class I even got to hang out a little and have dinner with fellow students. That was exciting since I commute to school and I never get to hang out with other students, which makes me sad. Of course taking the time to hang out meant I got home at 1am, but it was worth it.

Yesterday I also did some research away from the office. This time I spent the day at the Library of Virginia in Richmond. I mostly copied things off of microfilm, which isn't too exciting, but I did get to grab a delicious lunch and eat on the grounds of the state capitol next to a statue of Stonewall Jackson, among the dogwood trees and tulips. It's the little things.

No comments: