Saturday, December 29, 2012

Christmastime 2012

Like I said, I spent Christmas in Santa Fe with my family. Here are some highlights:

Friday we decorated the tree and house, since my parents waited for Ryan and me to get home. That evening we went to a great choral concert at the Cathedral downtown. Since I had been busy with school and then getting ready to leave town, I never really got in the Christmas spirit in Charlottesville, but this concert sure helped.

For Christmas Eve we did our usual family tradition, which is invite the grandparents over and eat posole and tamales. Then Dad and Ryan and I went downtown to walk Canyon Road and enjoy the farolitos. As you can see, we made some friends on our walk.



After Canyon Road we walked to the Plaza to see the lights, and then we stopped in a cozy hotel bar for warm drinks. Oh, and it was snowing lightly all evening. When we got back home all of our own farolitos were still lit! I think it was a Christmas miracle, since it was snowing. That or a neighbor relit them.


On Christmas morning the grandparents came back over for breakfast, then we opened presents. Here's our pretty tree.

Later more family came over for Christmas dinner, for a total of twelve of us. It was nice to have all of my Dad's side of the family together. Speaking of Dad, check out our Christmas coordination.


Wednesday night Ryan and I went to see Django, and Thursday night all four of us saw Les Miserables. 

Friday we all took the Santa Fe Rail Runner train to Albuquerque. While there we ate a nice meal, then took a bus to Old Town and walked around a little. Then we had a drink at a hotel before getting back on the train and heading home.

Saturday (today) I ran ten miles outside in 20-something weather on a rail trail outside of town. My Dad wanted to see me run, so he dropped me off and then met me a couple times at various cross-roads before picking me up at the end and driving me home. The temperature didn't really bother me much, but most of the trail was still covered in snow (and ice), so it was a much slower and more tiring run than usual. It was fun to get out there and do something different though. Dad said he saw a coyote on the trail while waiting for me, but I was looking where my feet were going too much to look around and didn't see one. Alas.  


After the run and a hot shower we all went out for one last New Mexican meal for Ryan and me, then visited a little more with my grandparents.

It's been a real nice trip and holiday.

No comments: