Sunday, February 10, 2013

running firsts


Last weekend I went to Richmond to visit family, and while there I ran my ten mile long run. First I drove to the West End so I could run to the Museum District and the Fan. It was cold and even snowed a little, but nice to run in Richmond again. However, sidewalks aren't ideal for running, especially when they are uneven or brick. Makes it seem more like urban trail running. And that's what I'm going to blame my fall on. Sure it was getting dark, and sure I was tired because I was almost at the end of the ten miles, but still. That sidewalk caused me to trip. Trip and actually fall for the first time while running, which resulted in a bloody elbow, bruised shin, and frustrated emotions.

It stung more than anything. And oozed for a while.
 However, I am super grateful I didn't actually hurt my legs or ankles or anything. In fact, after sitting on the curb for a few moments to make sure I wasn't broken anywhere and to look around and make sure no one saw, I managed to jog the last quarter of a mile back to the car. And after getting back to the house and taking a long hot shower, I had my doctor grandpa there to bandage me up.

A week later I ran my longest run ever. Yesterday's seventeen miles was the first time I ever ran more than fifteen miles. Yikes. A friend joined my after two and a half miles and stuck with me for twelve, so that was fun. I warned her ahead of time I wouldn't be able to talk very much while running, but I could chat a little and she filled in the rest. I had plotted a pretty hilly route, and despite some tough hills the run felt pretty good. Good until she left me and I had about three and a half miles to go. Those last miles were rough, but I managed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ouch. Sometimes, when you hit the streets, the streets hit back.