Monday, January 09, 2006

Papa Ningo

Saturday night Justin and I were trying to decide on where to eat dinner, and I made the rule it had to be a place neither of us had ever been to before. In this adventurous state we headed to the Bottom and came across Papa Ningo. It's a little "Spanish and International Cuisine" restuarant, according to the cover of the menu, but the decor was Caribbean and so was most of the food. Since I was already in an adventurous mood I decided to try the mofongo, which is mushed up plantains with garlic sauce, served in an exciting wooden goblet. I also decided to try the orange juice and milk drink (I can't remember it's name), which was delicious and even more so thanks to the fun firework decoration on the bendable straw. Along with my mofongo came a plate of fried chicken pieces, which were possibly the scariest chicken pieces I've ever seen. They were each about a cubed inch in size and contained tons of little bones. I'm not a big fan of chicken on the bone as it is, and this looked like the poor little chicken had her spine chopped up and fried on the spot. I found a few solid pieces of meat, which were very tasty, but it was so much work that I didn't eat very much of it, especially since the mofongo was filling me up. The owner and waitress (she wasn't really the waitress, I think maybe the owner's daughter and probably 15), however, didn't think I ate enough and accused me of not liking it, and then the waitress took my plate back to the kitchen, which we could see from our table, and showed all the cooks what I'd left so they could laugh at the silly white girl who doesn't like mini pieces of fried chicken spine. It was embarrassing, but they were actually very nice and friendly and I didn't mind being the butt of their jokes just this once.
Anyway, I liked the place. It's fun and inexpensive and has exciting foods you don't see very often, so you should all go there.

No comments: