Thursday, February 21, 2008

Did I tell you?

I don't know if I've shared this with you, dear internet readers, but the truth is...I have a thing for old men. Not a romantic thing, just an I-think-they're-awesome thing. I like to watch old men, and talk to old men, and I especially like portraits of old men.

I don't really know what it is about old men that makes me like them. But I do. Once in college I played Bingo at a retirement home and this really great old man next to me kept making jokes, like "B4 what?" I laughed every time. Then he told me stories about his logging days.

Only this other time at a different retirement home I played the piano while some folks ate dinner and afterwards this old man came up to me and said his wife used to teach piano so he heard every mistake I made. He was an old man I didn't like.

Another time I saw a whole slew of old men in cute white sweaters lawn bowling at a park in London. I hid behind bushes and took pictures.

I think my affinity for old men might also have something to do with my love for history. I could spend hours looking at presidents at the National Portrait Gallery.

P.S. I hope that my writing "old men" isn't offensive. I definitely mean no offense. I think "awesome old men" sounds much better than something like "elderly men," or "senior men."

1 comment:

Allison said...

You should come to work with me someday! I promise your share of hilarious old men with a story or two.