Wednesday, October 01, 2008

changing places

As you all know, or hopefully know if you actually read this blog or know me in real life, I recently moved. I've been in my new apartment for two and a half weeks. It's mostly settled, and I'm feeling at home here. But like all big changes, I also feel a little sad about the move.

For one thing, I really liked grad school. I loved classes, I liked my friends, I liked my apartment there and running around the lake or in the neighborhood with tall trees. Looking back, the whole thing flew by. After my classmates and I graduated most of us left North Carolina. I have no desire to live there now, without being in school and with everyone gone. But I still miss it.

I also miss my grandparents' house. Sure it's not far away and I can easily visit. Yes I can still go over for a meal or to hang out or to do laundry. But it's not the same. One of the reasons I felt close to that set of grandparents while growing up in a different state from them was because when I did see them, it was for longer periods of time. Sure I might have lunch with my Santa Fe grandparents every once in a while, but when I saw my (then) Texas grandparents I visited for a week. Even when I was in North Carolina, if I saw my grandparents I was visiting for a long weekend. Now that's over.

I'm very happy and thankful to be where I am now. I like my job, I like my apartment, I like my neighborhood. I don't regret all these changes; I'm just feeling nostalgic I guess.

No comments: