Saturday, August 08, 2009

re-entering the kitchen

I'm hanging out with my grandparents in Richmond for the weekend (During the first full weekend I could be in my new town of C'ville! I know! But I just can't help myself.), and we just got back from seeing Julie & Julia, the new movie about Julia Childs and a woman named Julie who decided to cook all of Julia's recipes in the span of one year. When we left the movie Grandpa sang a ditty through the parking lot about how boring it was, but Grandma and I enjoyed it.

Watching this movie came at the perfect time for me. I was already getting inspired to cook more (or cook at all, after barely using the oven in my Richmond apartment), so this movie was more of a coincidence than initial inspiration. I don't have a desire to cook French recipes and use pounds of butter every week. But while pineapple in cottage cheese makes a perfectly delicious and acceptable dinner on occasion, I would like to branch out a little more.

Last week I got a fresh and free eggplant at work, so I baked eggplant parmigiana. I even made my own fresh tomato sauce to go with it. So that was exciting. I also got a bunch of fresh and free basil at work, so I made a bunch of pesto sauce and froze it like Katie. From what I tasted pre-freezer, however, I'm not so sure I like how the pesto turned out. We'll see.

Friday I got some okra from work, so I'm going to try to make friend okra this coming week. And I might be getting a co-worker's sister's CSA share for the week while they're out of town, so who knows what meals could come out of that. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

ALF said...

You seem to get a lot of free food at work. That's pretty awesome.