Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

This past weekend was excellent.

Friday after work Josh and I headed east to his grandparents' house. They live there all the time but it felt like a vacation home to me. I stayed in a cute little room that reminded me of a B&B, and they have a big screened in porch with an assortment of rocking chairs, swings, and couches to sit on. The porch also overlooks a pond. So Saturday I woke up early (without an alarm) and sat on the porch to read. Then I helped run a couple of errands before we had blueberry pancakes for breakfast. After than Josh and I loaded up the kayak and headed down the road to the Piankatank River. I ended up with blisters on my thumbs, but it was still a good time. When we got back to the house we ate lunch and took naps. After my nap I read on the porch while Josh went fishing at the pond. For dinner we sat on the porch and had barbecued chicken and corn, and that night we all played Quiddler.

Sunday Josh's grandpa gave the sermon at church for their special Memorial Day service. He wore his Navy uniform (he was a rear admiral and chaplain) and other men in the church wore their uniforms, and the service ended with a bugler and bagpipes. After church there was a cookout back at the house, and once all the food was consumed and everyone left I took a requisite nap. Then I went with Josh to the pond to sit in the boat while he fished. We rounded out the night eating leftovers and watching TV.

Monday we had a big homemade breakfast, then Josh's aunt and her boyfriend came over to go kayaking with us again. The sun was shining, the water was refreshing, and my blisters didn't bother me too much. (Also, I'll be honest, Josh and I were in the same kayak so if my hands hurt he took up the slack and paddled me around.) We found a teeny-tiny piece of beach and got out of the boats to swim and dig our toes in the sand. Overall I'm told we kayaked 5.25 miles that day. When we got back to the house we ate a late lunch, and then Josh and I took naps before packing up and heading back to Charlottesville.

The weekend was a really great mini-vacation.

2 comments:

AJ said...

So there's all this fishing going on but you had to eat chicken?

andi said...

The fishing was more of a catch-and-release deal. For funsies. Only not so fun for the fish.