Saturday, February 18, 2012

bumps in the road

So last week when I ran fifteen miles I apparently hurt my right foot in the outer ankle region. It hurt some after the run and I was hobbling just a little, but I didn't think much of it because I always hobble just a little after a really long run. But it came back during Tuesday's run.

Tuesday Josh tried to get in the fifteen miles he'd missed on Saturday. He tried this after work, a dental appointment, and taking a test at school. He ran seven miles, then I joined him to run my eight. Once I joined him we were going pretty slow, but he wasn't going to make it his full fifteen. So after about four and a half miles (eleven and a half for him) he headed back to the car while I took off to finish my eight. I ran my final four miles with sub-nine minute miles, which is pretty fast for me. And I think that's what really did my ankle in. The next morning I was definitely limping into work.

So here's where we stand: Josh is going to switch gears and aim for running the half marathon, and I am currently injured.

UGGHHH.

I didn't run on Wednesday or Thursday, but I tried on Friday. I went to a park and jogged very slowly in soggy grass. I made it two miles, but then decided I'd really better stop. Then I cried.

After crying and talking through my frustration with Josh and reading up a little on running injuries (and how common they are for beginning marathoners and how missing a week or two of training won't be the end of the world) I headed to the gym at Josh's apartment. I rode the bike for four miles and did some weight training. I was reminded that missing a workout on Wednesday didn't turn me into mush. I felt better.

Today I was determined to get a workout in that was somewhat comparable to the sixteen-mile run I was missing. So I went back to Josh's apartment gym (which is different than the gym we usually go to after work) and rode the bike again. For three hours. Thirty miles. It still wasn't nearly as intense and exhausting as the long run would have been, but my thighs (and rear end) were sure sore. And luckily the bikes there aren't super boring, and my rides were through computer animated scenes like a beach at sunset, Mayan ruins, and a redwood forest. I feel well traveled.

Now we're crossing our fingers that my ankle will heal quickly and I can get back into training later this week. Please.

No comments: