Sunday, June 02, 2013

Old Rag

Ever since I moved to Charlottesville I've wanted to hike Old Rag. I've even had directions for getting there and a map of the hike just sitting on my desk for over two years. And today I finally did it.

My friend D picked me up and we drove the hour or so to the parking spot in the Shenandoah National Park. The hike is an 8.8 mile loop, and includes lots of scrambling around on boulders. Which was kind of fun. Luckily it was overcast and not very hot, though still humid and I was still plenty sweaty. But unluckily the overcast sky meant the views weren't really good enough for bothering with many photos. So here's what you get:
Me at the top looking over boulders and sporting a temporary tattoo.
And a slew of pistachio shells. We had many sightings on this hike.
 8.8 miles sort of seems like a lot, but it wasn't bad. Though I guess it did take us something like five hours. But a lot of time was spent waiting at log jams in tight spots among the boulders.

I'm glad I finally got out there and experienced Old Rag. I'd do it again.

No comments: