Thursday, November 29, 2007

a short list of random

We're supposed to fill out online course evaluations for school, and the last question in the section that asks you to click strongly agree, agree, don't agree, etc. is: "Overall, this course was excellent." Um, isn't' this called leading the witness, or something?

Today I told my professor I didn't think I was smart enough to be a professor because I still can't figure out what postmodernism is, and then a really smart man walked by so she called him in to explain it, and after many minutes packed with big words and concepts like metanarrative, subjectivity, cultural history, and more I can't think of, my head sort of wanted to explode.

So far two students have complained to me about how I graded their papers, and that makes me want to crawl under my bed and never read my emails again.

Tomorrow is the deadline for submitting a proposal for presenting a paper at our graduate student conference in February, and while I'm helping to run the thing I didn't think I wanted to submit a paper. Then I got an email from a fellow student who claims to have read part of my draft for my environmental history paper/thesis and thinks I should submit, and even though I think he's just sayin' that to get more proposals it sort of makes me think I should, because it would be good experience and it looks good on your CV. Apparently the academic life is all about enhancing the ol' CV. So now I have to decide if I want to spend lots of time tomorrow writing a short proposal and, well, writing a CV, which sounds like zero fun.

Walking to the parking deck tonight I heard a girl say her friend got her toe stepped on at a club and the toenail fell off. That's gross. I had a toenail fall off once, while slip n' slidin at my cousins' house in Texas, back in the day. It only fell off on the slip n' slide, that's not where I hurt it. I hurt it when I tried to break a huge rock open on the cement to find gold. Instead of gold I got a jelly shoe and frilly sock full of blood.

3 comments:

I'm Jennifer said...

jelly shoes! oh, i loved those things. did you ever wear them without socks? i did, and then my feet would end up really dirty at the end of a summer day from the sweat and the dirt. nice.
sounds like that rock/nail incident really hurt.

potentially stupid question here: what's a cv?

andi said...

Yeah, jelly shoes without socks equals sweaty mud caked on your feet, and if you have clear shoes they get yellow and gross fast.

CV stands for curriculum vitae, and it's like a resume. My fellow students and I are always trying to figure out how it's that different. You're supposed to be able to list all your publications and courses taught and conference papers given, etc. Of course I don't have any of those yet...

ALF said...

If you don't like the idea of losing toenails, then it's a good thing you're not a soccer player. There were times in my soccer playing career that the number of missing toenails was greater than the number of attached toenails.