Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I survived, but with a sunburn.




























Last Thursday when I arrived at the rented house on the bay I immediately started looking around for snakes. I didn't see any, and no one else looked stressed, so I just tried to relax. But then I decided I needed to use the restroom after sitting in the car for four hours, and as soon as I'd entered the bathroom and closed the door I saw a snake. I screamed and did a half-running half-jumping dash down the hall warning everyone in the house that "seriously, there's a snake in the bathroom."

Only it turns out the snake was a rubber cobra. My cousin Jay didn't think I'd fall for a cobra with the flared neck, but if you think I stopped long enough to examine the darned thing you can think again. So they got me. And then I made sure to hide the snake so I wouldn't have to deal with replays all weekend.

I did, however, see a few real snakes out in the water the first evening I was there. I was cool with it until I thought Jay was going to pick one up. That was when I made a running beeline for the house. He didn't pick it up.

Other than the snake scares, the weekend was great. Friday we all played in the water and floated around. I floated for several hours after forgetting to put sunscreen on my "porcelain" white legs and now my knees are still pink. My nose has lots of freckles, too. Friday night we played games.

Saturday I rode Josh's bike and towed him around while he rode roller blades. Then we went kayaking.




























Josh and I had a kayak and my cousin Leslie had a kayak with her boyfriend Alex. I had a good time, except for the part where we were practically in a swamp and we came upon a floating dead raccoon. Leslie and Alex did not have as good of a time because they flipped their boat and when that happened Alex lost his glasses and remained blind for the rest of the weekend. Big bummer. Saturday night we had a seafood dinner on the patio of a restaurant by the water.

Sunday we had to leave the rental house and everyone else headed back to Richmond (needed to get back in time to get a new pair of glasses made), but Josh and I hung out in St. Michaels. We had a breakfast sandwich and coffee, walked around the shops, then ate dessert at noon. Next we visited the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum which was also hosting the 21st Annual Classic and Antique Boat Festival. The boats were fun to look at and the museum is fun. It has stuff to climb on and play with. Look, I caught an oyster!

























After the museum we stuffed ourselves on an all-you-can-eat blue crab dinner, and then we headed home.

1 comment:

ALF said...

That first picture is so neat. Sounds like it was a great trip!