Tuesday, November 14, 2006

socks full of memories

Socks are more exciting when they spark fond memories. I have some socks like that.

First, there are my regular Interlochen socks. At Interlochen (a music and arts camp in Michigan) the color of a girl's socks signifies which age group she's in, so I came back from my summer there in 1999 with a whole bunch of light blue socks. I still wear them all the time, despite how worn the heels are (because seriously, unless you take your shoes off who will ever know?). When I put these socks on I'm not reminded of Interlochen so much as I'm reminded of my friend Allison from college, who also went to Interlochen and who used to notice my socks and think it was funny I still wore them.

Next there are two pairs of white ankle socks that are tied to bowling. In the summertime if you're wearing flip flops you run into a problem at the bowling alley, and that situation has led to two new pairs of socks for me. First there is the pair my friend Becca from Santa Fe let me borrow one summer during college. I washed them and tried to give them back (I think months later...) but she said I could keep them, so I did. I like Becca, and those socks remind me of her. Then I was at a bowling alley in Johnson City, TN, when I drove my friend Katie there so she could be in a wedding (but don't worry, the wedding wasn't actually in the bowling alley). We all went bowling, but the groom had to go buy a package of socks for most of us, due to the above-mentioned flip-flop situation. That was a fun time, which makes those fun socks.

Briefly I will mention my cell group socks. Cell group was my girls Bible study in college, and one Christmas our leader Machelle gave all of us fuzzy gray socks. I only wear them in the winter, but it's nice to remember those girls when I do.

My favorite socks full o' memories are my Swedish socks. They are not Swedish at all, they are actually a different kind of Interlochen socks. At Interlochen our formal concert wear was a light blue collared shirt, navy corduroy knickers, and knee-length light blue socks. When I got back to Santa Fe I wore (and still wear) those socks (in the winter, under pants, because it's cold in the winter and those socks keep half my legs warm) and my friend Celia said they looked Swedish. Then she made up a song about them, which we still occasionally sing when we're together. The end of the song goes, "Swedish socks, bagels and locks, la la la la la la la, Andi is a Swedish girl, yah!" I bet you are all wishing you had a fun song about your socks too, yeah?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldnt get your blog at work for a while, the IT geniuses had it blocked. Glad you can reminisce in your sock drawer. Looking forward to seeing you sometime over the holiday season.

Cynthia