Monday, November 06, 2006

Teacher's Pet, sort of

I don't think "teacher's pet" is the right phrase, because I'm not getting preferential treatment or anything, but I have somehow entered a special relationship with one of my professors. "Special relationship" isn't right either- it sounds sketchy even (don't worry, he's gay), but you get the idea.

The whole process is a long story (which I just tried to explain but found too confusing and boring to write), so suffice it to say it involves him and me enjoying a play together, visiting the NC Museum of Art together, and me saying things in class like "do we really have to do all these activities in the book as part of our group tour project? Don't you know we're just going to make this stuff up at the last minute?" or retorting to his comment about looking forward to laughing at our tours with "yeah, or you'll be amazed."

This leads us to tonight's class, in which he announced to everyone how we'd criticized art at the museum together; said he was reminded of me while doing tonight's reading because "Andi hates bureaucracy and rules;" and later referenced me again as being "against The Man." I think it's funny he sees me this way, because it's pretty much the opposite of how I've been viewed most of my life. My old boss at the coffee shop once told a customer "Andi is the most conservative girl I've ever met from New Mexico." Surely I land somewhere in the middle.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watch out he doesn't try to do you.

Anonymous said...

STUPID HIPPY

Anonymous said...

As your half-hippy/half-conservative auntie, I'm proud of how far you've come! There was a time when you couldn't bring yourself to go around the traffic circle the wrong way (even though there was NEVER anyone coming)to get to the grandparents-who-love- you's alley. "The man" had better look out now!