Saturday, March 15, 2008

No green thumb here.

At the beginning of last semester I decided to get a plant. I picked an easy one- African violet. It was pretty and I put it in a cute self-watering pot. I opened the shades to give it light. But it stopped flowering, and has not flowered since. Maybe that's the way African violets go, but I wanted a flower, not a green thing. It's like my dislike for cats- I prefer dogs who give me attention and make me feel good about myself. Instead of giving me pretty flowers and making me feel good about myself, my African violet has really let me down. Or maybe I've let it down, but whatever. Today leaves started falling out of it. They still look green and plump and all, but they just fall out. My grandparents will read this and shake their heads at my poor plant-owning abilities. Yet even as I complain I don't really care enough to figure out the problem- get a bigger pot? More water? Less water? More sun? Plant food? It's all too much trouble.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cats CAN make you feel good about yourself, too. But then, they can also make you feel really, really bad about yourself.

AJ