Tuesday, March 04, 2008

So this is how the other half lives...

Ok guys, Ryan and I are in New York and staying at the Carlyle, most likely the fanciest hotel I will ever stay in in my entire life. I got in yesterday several hours before Ryan and stopped by the hotel to drop off my bags. Right away the ladies at the desk were very nice, and they knew I was Ryan's sister and he was bringing me for my graduation and yadda yadda yadda. They had a fancy room picked out for us way up on the 30-something floor with an amazing few of Madison Avenue and Central Park and the rest of the city. However, the room was so small that the two twin beds were pushed together to make one big bed. So instead we have a much bigger and just as nice room over-looking Madison Avenue, but down on the fourth floor. They brought us a tray of fresh berries and chocolate covered strawberries, and we've both already made use of the big white robes.

Anyway, after I dropped off my bags and had my personal tour of the place, I went walking forever and ever. Finally with very tired feet I headed back to the hotel for a short nap, then Ryan arrived and right after that my friend Celia arrived! So we sat in our room admiring how fancy it all is. Then we headed to the East Village for dinner and walked around a little, and then it was home to bed. I'm feeling slightly sick so my body gets tired and achy pretty quickly with all this walking, but hopefully I'll get back to normal soon.

Ooh, and here's the most awesome part...on our way back into the hotel last night Ryan and I stopped by the cafe downstairs to peek in because...get this...Woody Allen was playing the clarinet! So I looked at him for a few minutes, but Ryan wasn't interested because he sees famous people all the time at his hotel in Santa Fe and has become snooty about it.

Today we got up and headed way down to the South Street Seaport and Battery Park, but really just walked around a lot and didn't actually go into anything. Except for the huge discount clothing store that was full of Europeans buying fancy clothes. Ryan bought a suit because he wants us to eat at the restaurant here at the hotel but he needs a jacket for that. Seriously, we're not nearly fancy enough for this place.

Anyway, I'm in the business center now using the free internet, because using wireless from our room costs $15 a day! You'd think the fancy hotel would give free wireless... So I'm about to go back up for a short rest, then we'll probably go out and eat with Celia and her sister.

Sorry this post was more like a mass email than an exciting blog...maybe I'll have fun pictures to post when I get back.

Tata for now!

1 comment:

ALF said...

I love NYC - enjoy your visit!