Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Crazy South and her liquor laws

Why are there stupid laws down here regarding places that serve alcohol? Last night I wanted to go see Tom Brosseau perform in Chapel Hill, but it turns out the place serves liquor (not just beer and wine) and that means they have to be a members-only club, and to see a show you have to become a "member" at least three days in advance. Who does that?! Yet at the same time, Saturday I'm going to be in a crowd of over 200,000 people who are all allowed to BRING THEIR OWN BEER (that's right, I'm going to the Nascar race in Charlotte with my dad). I mean, I know New Mexico is crazy, too, with her drive up liquor stores and super high rate of DUI, but at least they don't keep me from seeing a $10 show just because they can also sell me a martini.

No comments: