Thursday, October 19, 2006

Remind me to bring headphones

I'm sitting in a coffee shop trying to write a review of several articles in The Public Historian on advocating for history. It's due tomorrow. I was supposed to work on it yesterday but I got distracted and that didn't happen, so I'm trying to do it now. Normally I work very well in coffee shops, but my lack of inspiration for this paper and the presence of nearby conversations are more distracting than usual. First two women talked about their houses and market values and kids rooms and the price of wine and how great Portland is, and just when I thought I would go mad they finally left. Then this older couple came, and my eaves dropping leads me to believe they're not really a couple but are on some sort of lunch first date. They were very nice though. The woman said I look cozy here in my booth, and I told her I am writing a paper and wished I did not have to be here, even if it is cozy. That's when the man asked "how can you write a paper on a computer? You're not writing a paper, you're writing electronics." Finally they moved on as well. It's quiet for now, and hopefully this will last. Otherwise I'll have to take my triple latte home with me and try to work there.

No comments: