Monday, October 23, 2006

More coffee shop conversations

Yesterday I was at another coffee shop (okay okay, it was Starbucks) when these three men sat near me. From what I could hear (and I tried hard to concentrate on my reading about the apotheosis of Captain Cook and not pay any attention to their conversation, but they were so loud...) they know each other from church, and they were trying to plan a trip to Ithaca, NY to set something up, not sure what, a conference maybe? Anyway, one of the guys was super pretentious and obnoxious and rude and patronizing, all very loudly, and it made me want to yell at him. Seriously, I really thought about saying something. Instead, I tried to bend over my article with my hair hiding the fact that my fingers were plugging my ears, but I think he noticed, because they moved. Now, I feel bad for making them move, because they have the same right I have to sit there, but the one guy made me want to curl up under the table and die, so I didn't feel toooo bad.

Then today, at a different coffee shop (I know, sounds like I go a lot, and it's true because I don't have anything better to do and caffeine is a necessary part of my graduate studies) I was sitting there, quietly reading about the myths surrounding the American West in history, when a woman and her grown son sat at the couch opposite me. He pulled out a vocab list and began quizzing his mother on her... Swahili lessons. This week she is learning the name of different foods in Swahili. This was slightly distracting, but amusing at the same time, and luckily I had to leave shortly after they arrived to go to class.

No comments: