Tuesday, May 01, 2007

TA stuff

I graded my 32 students' exams tonight (well, the objective part), and my favorite incorrect answer was this:

Gerald Ford used time studies and differential piece-rate quotas to eliminate the informal worker practice he called unskilled labor and to make work on factory floors more efficient.

The correct answers? Frederick Winslow Taylor and soldiering (or stints).

I also had a student include this in their short extra credit essay:

"Then again, the pill is cheaper than a baby."

Also, I have about 60 essays to grade in the next two days. I'm figuring 20 minutes per essay, which I think equals 20 hours. Right? That means 10 hours per day. And knowing me I will take even longer than that. Except I never work 10 hours a day. And I already plan on going out for drinks with the public history students Tuesday night around 8, and Wednesday at 6 I have to take a short archives exam. So we'll see how all this works out...

In related news, next semester I'm not TA-ing for the History of Technology anymore. I'm moving on to Early American (Colonial and Revolutionary) with my current professor (the one who took us to Williamsburg), and Elizabeth is my co-TA!

No comments: