Saturday, October 20, 2007

it's like leaving breadcrumbs, only instead you make up stories

Today I planned to go for a run but ended up going out this morning, so instead this afternoon I decided to take a walk (since walks don't require a second shower). Rather than head to the lake, however, I decided to explore the neighborhoods around here that I never see. It was nice- full of pretty houses, tall pine trees, and silly Halloween decorations.

The thing about walking in places you've never been, however, is that you have to remember how to get back. It takes a lot longer to find your way when you're lost on foot than when you're lost in a car, especially when your car has a map.

So, in order to avoid never finding my way home, I make up stories with street signs. For example, by the time I'd walked far enough today and needed to head home, I knew that I needed to sleep by the creek, head north until I got to France, and then look for the mountain that would point me home. I have a similar story for when I go running in Richmond- Follow the ridge around the mountain, and then look for the magic stone that will point you home to the castle. I'm not making all of this stuff up, most of these words (or similar meanings) are in the street names. And my stories work, because I made it back!

No comments: