Monday, December 25, 2006

My Christmas

Christmas Eve:

Played the piano for the church service, since the other pianists were out of town. It has been a while since I've had to actually practice for something, but I did a little and it went fine.

Came home to do some last-minute work on one of my craft projects, help clean the house, spoon out divinity and fudge onto trays, and shape rolls.

Set up some farolitos in the front yard with dad. They are candles in brown paper bags, and are traditional New Mexican Christmas decorations.

Grandparents and Cynthia came over, and we ate posole and tamales. My mom always makes posole and tamales for Christmas Eve.

Learned that when my grandparents were newly married (about sixty years ago) my granddad said "dear, I sure wish you'd learn some of my sister's pie recipes and make me a pie," to which my grandmother responded by never making a pie for him ever again.

Also learned that the day I was born my dad went to the waiting room to tell my grandmother I had finally arrived (I was about three weeks late). She asked what my name was, and apparently he spent a long time mulling it over before deciding he wasn't really sure and would have to get back to her. He says the problem was that he couldn't remember which pronunciation they'd picked, since there are at least three common ways to say Andrea.

After the guests left I helped wrap gifts (we have a habit of wrapping everything at the very last minute) and stayed up until after 1 in the a.m. doing more last-minute work on my craft project.

Christmas Day:

Woke up, got ready, and grandparents came back over for Christmas morning. Ate a nice breakfast and drank Mexican hot chocolate.

Opened presents. Ryan gave me an ipod, and my parents gave me a digital camera. I'm pretty hi-tech now.

Drove to my aunt and uncle's house in Tesuque for Christmas Dinner (at lunch time). Delicious as always.

Tried to hang out with my cousins. They are 15 and 11-year-old girls who are beautiful, smart, and talented. I've never been close to them, and we never have much to say to each other. Ryan and I sort of invited ourselves into Meredith's room to try and chat. It was a little awkward.

Sat by the fire and opened more presents. Then we ate dessert. More deliciousness.

Came home. Very tired. Will probably watch a little tv and then go to bed.

Merry Christmas everyone.

No comments: