Monday, July 16, 2007

I hope it rains.

For several weeks now, I have been in charge of watering our yard. Sure, I turn on the sprinkler and that takes care of the grass, but my grandparents have flowers and tomatoes and herbs and tons of other stuff all over the place, and it's my job to keep them alive. So far I'm doing okay, and watering seems to work. I even sprayed some bug killing stuff on some Japanese beetles a couple times. But my gardening knowledge stops after water and bad beetles.

Grandpa loves flowers, so not only does he have them all over the yard, but he usually arranges them around the house as well. Add to that the fact that my other grandfather in New Mexico used to own a flower shop, and you'd think I'd know a little more. Those pink flowers on the fence? No clue what they are. The red ones by the stairs? Nope. I don't even know about most of the herbs out there. The tomatoes I can handle, but even there I didn't have them staked up and after describing the massive mess of tomatoes in my yard to a woman at my internship she scoffed and said "you weren't made to live on farm" (like she does). Even when I tried to arrange some cut sunflowers on the table the other day I simply made all the petals fall off in my hand. Sometimes I feel like a gardening disaster.

But despite all that, the yard still looks pretty darn good if you ask me. And you don't even have to ask me, because you can see for yourself!


These are only some of the tomatoes.

See Danny under the table?
















We have grapes, too!

You know who else enjoys our yard?



Myrtle.

No comments: