Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Updates on the internship.

Some of you readers whom I know (is that the correct use of "whom?" I had a professor who said not to bother using it anymore, but I disagree with him.) in real life have asked how the internship is going, and now I'll go ahead and let all of you know whether you asked or not.

In short, I still really like it. Sometimes the work I'm doing gets long and tedious, but that's just how working with these big archives collections goes. I finished the project they had for me after five weeks (plus it will take a little time to fix it up once someone has looked over my inventory), so they had to find a new section of the collection for me to do, which is exciting I guess.

What isn't exciting is finding mouse poop in the folders, or dealing with rusty paperclips that shed dust and probably give you cancer when you breath. (And for the record, the mouse poop, as far as I can tell, is very old and was deposited before we got the collection.)

Tomorrow is another public lecture, which I'm excited about. It's on George Washington. I'm sad that this will be the last lecture that happens while I'm still there.

Every day during my thirty-minute lunch break I take a walk. It's my favorite part of the day. I don't mean that in the "recess is my favorite subject in school" sort of way, I just mean that I love walking around the neighborhood and looking at houses and yards while eating my sandwich, fruit, and cookies. And sure, it's usually a billion degrees when I'm out, but they have the air conditioner on so high all the time that thirty minutes is the perfect amount of time to thaw out.

1 comment:

ALF said...

I wish I knew you in real life...we could go on walks together! Walking is one of my favorite things to do to relax. My husband hates going on walks (how you could hate walking, I do not know) so a walking buddy would be fun...