Saturday, August 23, 2008

independent day

Some people don't like to go out and do things alone. I, on the other hand, don't usually mind. I prefer to shop alone. I go to museums alone. I explore new places alone. Sometimes I'll even eat in a restaurant alone. Now I'm not saying I always like to be alone. It's nice to have a friend or family member or significant other along. But if someone else isn't available, that won't stop me from going out and doing what I want to do. I have been to museums alone in Chicago, London, New York, Portland, Raleigh, Richmond, Santa Fe, Seattle, Tacoma, and Washington DC.

There are times when it's better to be alone. Maybe I don't mind spending four hours looking for a dress. Maybe I don't want to annoy someone else by making them sit and watch random video installations for 45 minutes at an art museum. Maybe I'd rather see the movie about crosswords puzzles alone than listen to people make fun of me for wanting to see a movie about crossword puzzles.

Today I exercised my independent nature downtown in Santa Fe. I visited the Ansel Adams exhibit at the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum. I ate a delicious lunch on an outdoor patio. And I visited the Biennial exhibit at Site Santa Fe, where I watched a video installation for a very long time but did not want to jump down onto a stunt mattress for fear my dress would fly up.

But lest you think I shun company, I began my day by hanging out with Ryan, and in the evening I enjoyed dinner with my parents and we played a game of Scrabble.

It was a good day.

1 comment:

ALF said...

As I get older I am more okay with doing things alone. When I was younger I wouldn't ever go anywhere by myself. I like it much better now that I don't mind being alone. It's somehow less stressful.