Monday, January 08, 2007

books for fun

A long time ago I posted that I was finally reading again. That was back in April. Well, I read that book that Katie had given me, and then I read Franny and Zooey (though I didn't actually remember that until I re-read my old post), and then I started but never finished The Luck of the Bodkins by P.G. Wodehouse. The only other book I recall reading was another one Katie gave me in July, and that was The Bowl is Already Broken, by Mary Kay Zuravleff, which I enjoyed. I may have read something else, but I don't remember it. Then school started, and though I read thousands of pages and wrote dozens, for-fun reading definitely stopped. But now I am proud to announce that I read three whole books during my break. Count them: one. two. three. First I read Geek Love, by Katherine Dunn. I really liked it, though it's quite strange and has to do with a circus family that tries to breed unique "freaks" for their traveling show. Next I read Nick Hornby's A Long Way Down. Hornby is always fun, and I love British books that remind me of London. Then I read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson, and learned more than I ever wanted to know about the Appalachian Trail, but of course Bryson makes things like that interesting and humorous.

I'm not sure if much more fun reading will happen any time soon. Part of me wants to start another book, but I fear I won't finish it because of school. Then again, I used to do a Sudoku puzzle almost every night before bed, and I ran out of those, so either way I need something to fill my winding-down time before I sleep. New book or Sudoku...if only all life's choices were this trivial.

No comments: