Wednesday, March 07, 2007

lists

I like to make lists. Lists of groceries, lists of readings for class, lists of things to get at Target, lists of music I want, etc.

Mostly lists help me remember things. But sometimes lists are nice just so I can enjoy a brief moment of accomplishment as I cross items off. Lists are also helpful in pros and cons situations.

Last week the world was rosy, and this week it's still mostly rosy but I'm starting to get that mid-semester nervous-ness that comes with lots of extra research and reading to do, plus important plans to make for the future. I realized today that I need to register for class next week, so this switch from public history to regular/traditional/academic/whatever-else-you-want-to-call-it history is real and immediate. I thought I could hold off for another semester on making the decision final, but I think I need to register for both thesis research and Spanish. Also, I need a summer internship. I'm working on trying to get one in particular in Richmond, but I also think it might be fun to do one in Tacoma, so maybe I'll even do two. Then again, maybe both of my leads will fall through and I will have nothing. Nervousness.

Then there is the question of where to live next year. This is not an immediate concern (at least I don't think it is, but I need to go read the fine print on my lease), but it's still something more to feel nervousness about. The "to move or not to move" question is a good occasion to make a list. Pros to moving include: live closer to school (which means walking more, saving on gas, and maybe not paying $270 to park on campus); save on rent during the summer when I'm not in Raleigh; maybe live in a fun neighborhood with stores and coffee shops in walking distance, which is a lifestyle I love. But cons include: moving is a pain (change of address for everything important, new start-up fees, general frustration); I would need to pay to store my stuff over the summer; I would miss my lake; I will most likely move again the next year, meaning I will have moved every year from 2001-2008, and moving is a pain. Also, there's a good chance I can't actually afford a decent apartment where I want it.

But let's end with a happy list:

  • Spring is coming.
  • I'm going to start recycling again.
  • Between Raleigh, Tacoma, and Richmond, I will have seen many of the people I love within two weeks time.
  • I'm excited about history.

No comments: