Wednesday, June 06, 2007

internship update

Even though I've been out of school for four weeks and gone on two vacations already, I feel like this week was the real beginning of my summer since I finally started my internship. Monday I came home exhausted and was in bed by nine because it's been almost a year since I've had to get up early to sit and work for eight hours (even if I was working for eight hours, perhaps writing a paper, I had plenty of coffee; but when working with archives you can't have coffee with you, and that's rough). It's going well so far. Today, on my third day, I finally found my way to and from the archives and manuscripts office from the staff entrance all by myself! This morning I also got to go with the staff to hear three visiting scholars talk about the research they're doing at VHS, and that was exciting. Oh, and there was a story in the paper, and then I got pointed out on the internet.

Tuesday I amazed myself by getting up at six in the morning to go for a run before work, and I even got to work a few minutes early! It was great. I might try it again tomorrow. Also, Sunday I bought my first pair of real running shoes (I've been using my old tennis shoes all this time. And by "tennis" I mean plain athletic shoes- don't get confused and think I play tennis, because I don't.) I had no idea what a difference they would make! Why did no one tell me sooner?

And finally, I know you readers were probably worrying about this, but Myrtle the Turtle has appeared once again in the back yard. (I *may* have been a minute late on my first day because I had to run back inside to tell Grandma the turtle was out for the first time.) So fret not, Grandma has her little friend back and can once again yell at poor Danny every day for eating the turtle's food.

No comments: