Friday, August 10, 2007

Time flies when you're having fun.

The summer is coming to an end, and yesterday was the last day of my ten week internship. In addition to the lunch and gift I got on Monday, the rest of the archives staff threw an ice cream social for me yesterday. They also gave me a very nice card complete with bug stickers on the envelope. Apparently I made a reputation for myself for hating bugs. And to top the party off, they gave me a framed collage of the Virginia governor whose papers I worked on all summer. The whole thing was very nice and exciting.

Yesterday morning I finished my section of the collection, so for the rest of the day I got to go through an older collection of letters from the late 19th to early 20th century. It was fun to work with a different sort of collection (mine was from the 1970s-80s), even if only for a few hours.

The people at my internship were really good about showing me around and letting me get a feel for different kinds of archival work. Overall I had a great time there. They kept making jokes at my ice cream party about how I must be glad to finally be getting out of there, and I kept having to say "You don't understand! I really do like it here! I go home and tell people the exciting stuff I get to do!"

So I'm going to miss it. And now I have to enter the uncomfortable transition period between work in Richmond and school in Raleigh...

1 comment:

Erin said...

p.s. hope you enjoy school in Raleigh this fall!